Sunglasses are the “must have” accessory for every Fashionista. Sunglasses don’t just protect the eyes, they add style! I’m starting to see more sunglasses on campus so I thought it would be fun to share some sunglasses facts.
* Sunglasses constitute a $34 billion annual market at retail.
* In the United States, every 14 seconds someone loses, breaks or sits on a pair of sunglasses.
* The most expensive pair of sunglasses sold on eBay are: Elvis Presley’s Madison Square Garden’s at $250,000.
* Singer Elton John, is rumored to have a sunglasses collection of over 1,000 pair.
* Most Popular Shades: Ray-Ban sunglasses sold 10 million units worldwide in 1998.
* Mens sunglasses sell every 90 seconds on eBay.
* Sunglasses were first used in China in the 12th century or possibly earlier. The “lenses” of these glasses were flat panes of smoky quartz, which offered no corrective powers but did protect the eyes from glare, and, according to some sources, evil spirits.